How Busy Is Too Busy?

I know we all deal with things that seemingly get in our way of our walk with Christ.  Maybe not even in the way as much as we trip over this particular thing.  Have you thought about that thing that seems to "trip up" your walk with the Lord?  What is it that gets in the way of  quality time with the Master?

Well mine is just "doing" stuff.  This week, at a particular moment now that isn't really important and can't even remember what I was "doing", the Lord brought Mary and Martha to mind.

Luke 10:38-42
38 As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. 39 Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught. 40 But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.”
41 But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! 42 There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.”

I'm not going to go into the break down of commentaries I read on these scriptures.  But I'll tell you what the Lord spoke to me.  I get too wrapped up, in the things that just aren't that important in the grand scheme of things.  Yes, I have responsibilities and a job that has to be done.  I love being involved in ministry at every level I have experienced (well most of the time anyway).  The sin here is I sometimes allow "doing" ministry or what I perceive as ministry to get in the way of quality time with the Lord, meaning my prayer and bible reading time, my learning and getting to know God time.   Anything that comes before time with the Lord, isn't probably being done, it it's entirety, for the Lord.  Quite possibly for self satisfaction, recognition, or whatever.

Martha was "doing" something for the Lord.  She was preparing what I'm sure was an awesome meal for Him.  Yet her sister wasn't bothering to help, as a matter of fact, she was sitting at the feet of Jesus.  Martha was wrapped up in the details, not realizing, Jesus just wanted to spend quality time with them.  

I say a lot, "Lord, I am so tired."  I think this may have been the phrase that sparked the Lord to bring me back to this story.  I feel like He was letting me know that He just needed some quality time with me and the rest would fall into place.  That He can give me rest and refreshing (Matthew 11:28).  I also know that it's His approval I need to seek, not the approval of man.  Sometimes the Lord has to remind us of just what part is truly important.

I do love how Matthew Henry put it, * "The favour of God is needful to our happiness; the salvation of Christ is needful to our safety. Where this is attended to, all other things will be rightly pursued. Christ declared, Mary hath chosen the good part. For one thing is needful, this one thing that she has done, to give up herself to the guidance of Christ. The things of this life will be taken away from us, at the furthest, when we shall be taken away from them; but nothing shall separate from the love of Christ, and a part in that love. Men and devils cannot take it away from us, and God and Christ will not. Let us mind the one thing
needful more diligently."

I want to give up myself to Christ.  Spend time at His feet and know Him more.  I want His will in all things in my life, not my own.  I want to do the work HE has appointed me to do, but only after giving my full attention to what is important. Quality time with Him.

There is a song that goes something like this "I want to sit at your feet, drink from the cup in your hand, lay back against you and breathe, this love is overwhelming".

Thank you Lord for your direction and correction.  For molding me and shaping me and helping me to be the woman you want me to be.  I know there is so much more Lord, but I'm willing to give it all to you. Amen.



*Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on the Bible is available in the Public Domain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

His Grace is Enough

One Plants.....