One Plants.....

"6I planted the seed in your hearts, and Apollos watered it, but it was God who made it grow. It’s not important who does the planting, or who does the watering. What’s important is that God makes the seed grow. The one who plants and the one who waters work together with the same purpose. And both will be rewarded for their own hard work. For we are both God’s workers. And you are God’s field. You are God’s building" (1 Corinthians 3:6-9)

     My pastor preached about our purpose today.  It was an amazing message. Some of what he said made me take notice of some of the people around me in church. I started looking around.  As I was doing that the above scripture came to mind.  I looked at my cousin sitting in front of me.  I saw God's amazing work in his life.  My heart was overwhelmed. His mom had planted the seed of faith and salvation years ago, his brother has watered it, but it was God who had made the seed grow.  I wish I could tell you his whole story, but suffice it to say he has been through A LOT!  I'm not sure how long ago, but he accepted Christ as his Savior and we have watched him continually be changed from who he was in the past to who he is now, and I'm so excited to know who he will become ultimately in Christ. He's a board member in the church now, an dad, and a husband.  Mostly he is an amazing man of God.  

     But he wasn't the only example.  I looked around at the fruit of all the seed that had once been sown, how someone else probably watered it and God made it grow.  There were people there maybe no one thought in a million years they would see them sitting in a church, worshiping and serving God, myself included.  

     It is so easy for us as Christians, laborers in the field, to get weary of the planting when they don't seem to see any of the fruit of our labors.  In the scripture above Paul was addressing jealousy in the church.  How some were saying they were followers of one person or the other.  Paul reminded the church we are servants with a purpose, but it is God who is at the center of this process.  It isn't our job to save people, but it is our job to lead them to Christ by showing them the love of Christ and sharing our testimony.  There are lots of things we do to water the seed.  We bear one another's burdens, encourage one another, pray with/for one another, we gather together to support one another, we are an example of Christ, and God takes care of the rest!  He makes the seed grow! 

     I guess my point to this is this.... Next time you get frustrated because that person you invited to church didn't show up, or they came once and didn't come back, or you took groceries to someone and it didn't seem to make a difference, or you told someone about what Christ has done in your life, but it didn't seem to soften their heart, remember, you planted a seed, you have watered a seed, it's up to God to make the seed grow....to save them.  Just look around you, at all those seeds that are growing.  Keep doing your part and God will do His!  "So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up.10 Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone—especially to those in the family of faith." (Galatians 6:9-10).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

His Grace is Enough

And The Greatest of These......